Carbon Dioxide Detector and Alarms
Welcome to the Carbon Dioxide Detector & Alarm Website! Carbon Monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America. Carbon monoxide detectors are available, but you need to understand how they work so you can decide whether or not you need a detector and how to use it effectively.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas and is formed when there is incomplete combustion from flame-fueled (i.e., not electric) devices. These include fireplaces, grills, water heaters, space heaters, ovens and furnaces. Furnaces and Water Heaters are most often the culprit when inside air has unhealthy levels of Carbon Monoxide. This is caused by improperly venting these devices so the Carbon Monoxide can escape to the outside. Carbon monoxide can always be found in the air, but in low levels. Vehicles are the most common cause of carbon monoxide poisoning, primarily due to leaving a car running in an enclosed area such as a garage.
Why is Carbon Monoxide Dangerous?
When carbon monoxide is inhaled, it goes from the lungs into the molecules of red blood cells. The body becomes oxygen-starved, which can result in tissue damage and death. If you have a low level of carbon monoxide poisoning, symptoms are usually like those of the flu - headaches and nausea. In higher levels, you will feel dizzy, have mental confusion, severe headaches, and fainting. Ultimately, this will result in unconsciousness, brain damage, and death.
How Do Carbon Monoxide Detectors Work?
Alarms are triggered on Carbon monoxide detectors when there is an accumulation of carbon monoxide over time. Since Carbon monoxide detectors require continuous power, if the power shuts off, a carbon monoxide detector will be ineffective. Make sure you look for one that has back-up battery power.
Silent Killer Video